With the increasing use of the internet and data, the concerns of your device being infected with viruses and malware have also increased. That’s when you need an antivirus to secure your system from malware and viruses.
In today’s times, an antivirus is a must for your system whether you browse the internet or download files from it because if you don’t have antivirus then your system can be infected by viruses and malware which can corrupt your system and you can lose your data. But many times due to low budget, you don’t opt for an antivirus, that is why we have brought you the top free antivirus software to protect your device free of cost.
After researching many free antivirus software, and evaluating them based on their protection capabilities, user interface, and their reputation for safeguarding user privacy.
Do I need antivirus even if my pc has Windows defender?
Windows Defender is a decent free antivirus but it does not get updated regularly. Also, it doesn’t include any additional internet security protections.
Should I opt for free antivirus software?
If you have budget issues and you can’t buy antivirus software then it is better to have some protection over no protection. If you want full protection from all malware and viruses including browser safety and other additional features like a password manager, disk cleaner, USB scanning, and Live virus protection, etc., you have to buy the paid version of the antivirus.
But if you don’t want these features or if you can’t buy a paid antivirus then it’s better to protect the pc with free antivirus, at least it’s better than having no protection. All the antiviruses we have listed are significantly better than Microsoft’s Windows Defender antivirus.
Top free antivirus software
Avira Free Security for Windows – Best Free Antivirus in 2022, Avira Free Security antivirus for Windows is one of the best Windows antiviruses in 2022.
It updates virus and malware definitions from the cloud making Avira antivirus extremely fast, lightweight, and low on system resources. Also includes some extra features, such as:
- Safe browsing extension – it blocks suspicious phishing sites, web trackers, and unwanted advertisements.
- Performance optimizer and Gaming booster
- VPN with a 500 MB monthly limit
- Free password manager.
- Firewall security
- File shredder.
- File safe for securing files
- Bitdefender Antivirus Free
Bitdefender Antivirus Free comes with one of the best anti-malware systems in the market.
In the lab tests, it consistently scored 100% in malware detection and removal rates.
- Bitdefender’s cloud-based anti-malware engine runs silently in the background.
- Fast scanning and lightweight on CPU while scanning.
- Pretty good anti-phishing and fraud protection features.
- Prevents you from phishing attacks by blocking the suspected sites.
- Alerts on suspicious web pages and web forms.
- It includes real-time protection.
AVG AntiVirus Free
AVG antivirus’s free version is reputed in free antivirus software and has a broad reach.
- It has a very good malware and virus remover.
- Browsing and download protection
- Warns about suspicious email attachments
Additional features on the android app
The Android version of the software also has a phone tracker which allows you to track the location of your device in case it gets lost. Also, you can remotely lock it, make it ring, or even wipe out the data so that no one can access it for fraud or identity theft purposes.
Kaspersky Security free antivirus is very good at detecting and removing malware and also comes with additional features such as
- It comes with a VPN
- Password manager
- Data breach monitoring
- Basic system cleanup tools.
- File shredder.
- Virtual keyboard for security
- Real-time malware protection
- With a limit of 200 MB per day, Kaspersky’s VPN provides access to 1 server location.
- Kaspersky’s free password manager can save a total of 15 password entries including logins and sensitive documents.
Avast Free Antivirus
Avast is one of the best antivirus programs available. The, most recent AV Test’s protection test, received one of the highest ratings.
With a brand like Avast, you can expect fairly good antivirus protection in the free version too.
- Antivirus can find and clean up all kinds of viruses, spyware, ransomware, and phishing.
- Features like Wi-Fi Inspector and Smart Scan can help you spot flaws in your security by scanning wifi networks for threats and for scanning specific drives and USBs.
- Do Not Disturb mode that stops alerts and pop-ups while video streaming or gaming.
- Avast’s newer security suite Avast One offers more protection and also features a firewall, a VPN, and tools to speed up your PC which the Avast free antivirus doesn’t.
Malwarebytes Free virus scanner is a good choice for users., Malwarebytes’s virus scanner uses a virus database and also quickly catches all types of malware.
Features of Malwarebytes
- Browser extension that protects against ads and trackers, scams, and PUPs.
- The extension blocks the majority of risky sites and can detect phishing also.
- Minimalistic UI antivirus scanner with good virus detection and removal rates.
Panda Antivirus for Windows
A secure and easy-to-use antivirus with a small size and minimal user interface. It is significantly better than Windows Defender in finding and removing adware, spyware, and ransomware files on your pc.
- It has real-time malware protection
- Panda’s antivirus also has a gaming mode which is a plus point among other antiviruses which block notifications and clear memory while gaming.
- The Rescue Kit feature, which allows you to download a bootable version of the antivirus to a USB drive and then use the USB drive to clean another pc.
- Secure VPN provides good speed but has a limit of 150 MB per day in the free version.